Fundamentals of Gas Storage (VIRTUAL) - GS
Fundamentals of Gas Storage is a VIRTUAL classroom course presented by the energy training experts at Mennta Energy Solutions.
This course provides an overview natural gas storage, but also draws comparisons to LPG and petroleum liquids storage. After reviewing the physical properties of gas, delegates will learn about the different types of storage, storage requirements, the markets for the various gases, regional supply and demand balances and global trends. We will also review gas storage trading strategies.
Who Should Attend?
Class delegates include people who are new to natural gas and LPG markets, or to commercial storage operating companies. The course also appeals to non-technical staff who wish to learn more about gas storage, including support staff, analysts and management in the areas of supply, operations, trading, marketing, risk management, finance, contracts and IT.
Introduction to Physical Aspects of Gas Storage
Overview of Petroleum Gases
- Methane, ethane, propane and butanes
- Paraffinic and olefinic gases
- Key physical properties of gases
- Natural gas, natural gas liquids and LPG
Physics of Gases and Units of Measure
- Units of pressure
- Units of volume
- Temperature scales
- Impact of temperature and pressure on gases and liquids
Overview of Gas Storage Methods
- Pressurized and refrigerated storage
- Underground and above-ground gas storage types
- Depleted field storage design and operation
- Salt cavern storage construction and operation
- Rock cavern storage construction and operation
- Pressurized sphere and bullet tank storage for LPG
- Refrigerated storage and LNG tanks
- LNG storage terminal facilities
- Floating storage of LNG
- Properties of gases: In this short breakout exercise, delegates must correctly match a list of gases with a list of selected physical and chemical properties of petroleum gases.
- Gas storage methods: In this short breakout exercise, delegates fill out a summary table listing the key characteristics of different types of storage."ƒ
Introduction to Commercial Aspects of Gas Storage
Operation of Commercial Gas Storage
- Access to natural gas storage in Europe
- Access to natural gas storage in North America
- Commercial access to LNG storage
- Commercial access to LPG storage
- Primary and secondary markets
- Marketing of commercial storage
- Sources of value in gas storage
- Factors affecting storage prices
- Intrinsic and extrinsic value of storage
- Gas forward curves
- Seasonal price differentials
- Gas price volatility
- Storage as a "real option"