Overview of European Gas and Power (VIRTUAL) - EGPV
6-9 Feb 2023
||GBP 1,660 (EGPV-VILTEM23-02)
6 Jun 2023
*Prices do not include VAT, GST, or any other local taxes. All applicable taxes will be added to the invoice.
**Please register by the deadline to help us ensure sufficient attendance and avoid postponing the course.
Overview of European Gas and Power is a VIRTUAL classroom course presented by the energy training experts at Mennta Energy Solutions.
This workshop is designed to provide an introductory overview of natural gas and electricity within Europe. Delegates will learn the general principles of how gas and power markets work and how energy trading is carried out in the various different types of markets.
This virtual solution is comprised of four live instructor-led sessions hosted on state-of-the-art training software with video, audio, chat, live polls, breakout sessions and much more! The program will also include several self-study assignments to maximize the time with the instructor.
Who Should Attend?
The course is ideal for anyone who needs an introduction to the European gas and power markets. The course would also be suitable as an introductory foundation course for someone just starting out, or making the transition to gas and power trading from other markets.
- Characteristics of Gas and Power and their Markets
- retail commodities
- expensive, shared infrastructure
- capacity and commodity
- the need for reliability in energy delivery
- the importance of volume flexibility
- short-term trading and price volatility
- cross-commodity market linkages
- European Market Liberalisation and Regulation
- historical and liberalized market structures
- EU energy market objectives
- key concepts in the EU liberalisation programme
- overview of EU legislation and processes
- the goals of single internal markets for gas and power
- regulation of energy trading
- Measurement and Units
- SI units of energy
- Energy and power
- Gas and electricity units
- European Natural Gas Fundamentals
- the natural gas supply chain
- global reserves and trade flows
- European gas reserves and production
- European sources of natural gas
- natural gas quality issues in Europe
- European gas consumption
- key European pipeline and LNG infrastructure
- gas storage in Europe
- European Power Fundamentals
- the electricity supply chain
- end uses of electricity in Europe
- production of electricity in Europe "“ fuel mix
- capacity, generation, efficiency
- key types of generation technology
- load shapes, generation merit order
- base load and peaking power plants
- transmission and cross-border trade flows
- European Gas and Power Market Design
- Pools and bilateral trading markets
- balancing of gas and power networks
- split of responsibility between network operators and users
- European approach to balancing
- Capacity products in gas and power
- Transmission pricing principles
- Capacity allocation principles
- Congestion management principles
- European approach to capacity allocation and congestion management
- Market coupling of electricity markets
- Gas and Power Trading
- The role of trading markets
- Long-term contracts and wholesale trading markets
- Geographical arrangement of gas and electricity markets
- Trading hubs, zones and regions
- Market coupling schemes
- OTC and exchange-based trading
- Price drivers in gas and power markets
- Interactive content during the VILT sessions will include:
- Exercises carried out during the VILT sessions, in breakout groups, on merit order in power generation, European power generation mix, gas and power characteristics.
- A multi-round gas supply exercise, which would be introduced during the VILT sessions and played by delegates in their own time between VILT sessions.